Schooling: University of Toledo, Zoology
Official Title: Keeper II Primates
1. Which department do you work for in the Zoo? I work for living collections as a primate keeper and trainer.
2. What is the first thing you do when you get to the Zoo in the morning? When I first get to the zoo I receive my 2 way radio, I drive my zoo cart to the Nutrition Services kitchen where I pick up my daily diets. I then proceed to do a visual check of all animals I’m caring for that day.
3. Who is your favorite primate to care for? What is his/her personality like? Right now my favorite primate to care for is Kasih, the six-year-old orangutan female. She’s smart, she’s funny at times, and she can be a challenge on a daily basis. But most of the time she just makes me laugh. Honorable mention goes to Franny the Siamang and Julie the Ring-Tailed lemur.
4. If you had to trade places with any of the primates, which would it be and why? If I had to trade places with any of the primates it would be Michael the orangutan. He’s a very mellow guy, he’s handsome, he maintains control over his family, he has four very nice exhibits to choose from and he loves food. He has a pretty good life.
5. What has been your favorite memory working at the Zoo? My favorite zoo memory is all of the 8+ years I was able to spend caring for and spending time with Duchess the orangutan who passed away in June. I have never and probably will never experience an animal with her personality and beauty ever again.